Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Farewell to Cusco


On our last day at The Point Hostel in Cusco, there just so happened to be a reason to celebrate. Raquel, one of the night shift cleaning ladies that we had come to know, was having a birthday. In the states it’s often not such a big deal at your work place if it’s your birthday, but at The Point it was a different story. I haven’t seen enough to say if this is consistent culturally around South America, but I can speak for the point staff in saying that working there was like being a part of a big family, and when someone in your family finishes another year of life, you celebrate!
We started off with a big BBQ in the back yard. Everyone who worked at the hostel was invited to join Raquel, her children, husband, and parents, at a long table for steak, chicken, sausage, potato salad, and free beer and cake! The mood was cheerful and everyone had a great time with each other. I even managed to learn a card game that a ten-year-old girl taught me in Spanish. When I had woken up that morning I knew it was going to be my last day at The Point, which was bitter sweet. What I didn’t know is that the timing was going to be so great that I was going to be able to sit down for a meal with everyone that I had met for a proper goodbye. To make it all even better, after dinner Joe and I were able to enjoy several first and last drinks with all the cleaning ladies and cooks that had been so nice to us during our stay. They had all the patience in the world with our Spanish, and had really helped us feel welcome and at home while we were there.
I told everyone we would be back for Christmas and I have every intention to make it happen. I can think of no other place in South America I would rather spend my holidays, but between now and then it’s off to Bolivia!







No comments:

Post a Comment